Saturday, July 23, 2011

Flapping or Soaring

I do not understand... the way of an eagle in the sky...  Proverbs 30:18-19a

After 6 months of blog neglect, I've decided to finally reappear.  Strange that the times I get the strongest urge to write are those that are the most chaotic.  But here we go...

If I had to choose one word to describe this summer, crazy would be a massive understatement.  If only I had time to share all the struggles, the lessons, the high times, the dry times... the growth... it's certainly been a summer like no other. 

But of course there is no time to share those stories, no time to reflect and trace the fingerprints of God's goodness throughout a course of events that I never planned on, I would have never chosen... and I would never change. All I have time to say is that evening or morning--darkness or dawn-- God said "It is very good."  And He was right!

My biggest time-eater right now is research and homework for graduate classes.  Trying to keep the rest of my busy lifestyle in balance while dedicating all of my "free time" (whenever that is) to homework has proved to be an overwhelming and discouraging task.  But through His Word and His servants, God keeps reminding me gently that it's time to quit flapping and start soaring.

Birds are famous for expending huge amounts of energy in the act of flying.  Flapping wings takes tremendous muscle strength and most birds can't fly very long without stopping for a bite to eat or a rest.  But there are exceptions.  Soaring birds, like the eagle in Isaiah 40, can fly great distances almost effortlessly.  Have you ever watch an eagle on his upward spiral, riding the thermal air currents like a surfer on a wave?  His secret is his soar.  The eagle spreads his wings to embrace the powerful currents of warm air as they rise above valleys and canyons.  He doesn't need great amounts of energy or strength, because the strength and energy is found on the wings of the wind itself.

Throughout the Bible the Holy Spirit is compared to the wind.  Is it any wonder that God exhorts us to walk in the Spirit... to rest on His power... just as the eagle moves through the air? The strength that I possess in my feeble little muscles is negligible compared to the awesome, wonder-working power of the Spirit.  Yet so often I forget to spread my wings and rest in His strength. 

I feel like I'm running a marathon, and I'm getting worn out in the first mile.  It is only when I commit my ways to the Lord that the run can become a time of rest.  I can't stop running... but I have to learn to wait on the Lord so that I will be renewed in strength even as I grow in endurance.

But they that wait for the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint.  Isaiah 40:31

No comments:

Post a Comment